July 27, 2026

28 Jul



 28Jul

Weather Expectations         Week 29  Day 209    Flag Today  86°/60°                            

Wind 3 mph Gusts 4 mph

Risk of fire: Moderate   Active Fire: 22 miles away

Nearest Lightning: 215 miles away Humidity:  40%

Air Quality: Fair Sunshine Partly Cloudy

July Averages: Temps: 82°\51° 9 days with rain

Today’s Observances:

Buffalo Soldiers Day  Link
National Milk Chocolate Day  
Link
National Waterpark Day  
Link
World Hepatitis Day
Link

Weekly Observances:

International Congress of Mathematics: 23-30

National Tequila Week: 24-30  Link

Fresh Quotation:

 

 

Today’s Reflection:

A nice summer day. Monsoon is taking a break. Just a nice summer day.

While I was in the hospital, my brother found several firearms I had used when I was hunting, along with a German pistol my father had bought for protection. He took them, with my permission, to a local gun shop. They put them up for consignment sale. Today I picked up the check. All 3 firearms sold and I got a little over $500. Not bad. And now there are 3 gun onwers happy with their purchase.

I bought a couple of end tables for near my bed to hold ‘nigh time things like my CPAP machine, phone, etc. The two end tables must have over 50 screws and bolts I must put in the right place. I got the basic frame done before I quit.   I’ll either find someone to finish it, or I will do a little each day. It is not hard work, it is just time consuming and my ‘position in space’ has never been good making the transfer from the picture to the actual table difficult. I’m not giving up, but I’m not rushing it either.

Historical events

28 July History video

Cool to know about language:

SPILL 

Oddly, to spill first meant to kill or destroy, and it has been suggested that this somewhat bloody original meaning might relate to other similar words for bloodied animal fur or even flayed skin; it was in the sense of putting something to waste that it later came to be used of messily dropping the contents of something.

The more contemporary sense of "spilling" gossip or a secret, though, is still over 200 years old: in early 19th-century slang, to spill meant to betray a fellow criminal or confidante to the authorities, and then by the turn of the 20th century, the word had likewise come to mean to reveal or disclose something secret or personal.

Today in Science:

Can commercial funding fill a hole of £42 million (US$56 million) a year in the finances of some of the United Kingdom’s flagship science laboratories and facilities?

That is the challenge facing sites run by the UK Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), which funds the Diamond Light Source — the national synchrotron facility in Harwell — as well as other scientific instruments and labs.

The UK government has said that all STFC-funded sites must raise money to cover more of their own running costs, or risk closure.

The remodelling comes amid an overhaul to UK public research funding in line with the government’s strategic priorities, and during a rocky period for UK science. The country’s new prime minister, Andy Burnham, has merged the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology into a larger Department of Business, Innovation, Science and Trade. Patrick Vallance, a clinical scientist popular among research leaders, resigned as science minister on 20 July. Chemical engineer Chris McDonald, a member of the UK parliament who had a prior career in industry research, was appointed to the role on 24 July.

Picture of the Day:

Runner up from the "People" category - 2021 Drone Photo Awards
Title: Beach Season

Description: "I took this picture in February 2021, on ice hummocks at the Kapchagay reservoir in the Almaty region of Kazakstan. The air temperature on that day was -10 degrees Celsius; for our region and season it could be said warm, and so, without waiting for summer, we decided to open the beach season!". Alexandr Vlassyuk

Tricky US Trivia:

Question: What was the name of the Native American tribe the Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving with?

 


Answer: The Wampanoag tribe

Today’s Birthdays:

Harry Kane Soccer Player [England captain] 33 years old

Birthplace Chingford, England

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lori Loughlin TV Actress 62 years old

Birthplace New York City, NY

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Terry Fox Runner [1958-1981] @22 osteosarcoma

Birthplace Winnipeg, Canada

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis First Lady @64, cancer

Birthplace Long Island, NY

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That’s All for Now

28Jul

Weather Expectations         Week 29  Day 209    Flag Today  86°/60°                            

Wind 3 mph Gusts 4 mph

Risk of fire: Moderate   Active Fire: 22 miles away

Nearest Lightning: 215 miles away Humidity:  40%

Air Quality: Fair Sunshine Partly Cloudy

July Averages: Temps: 82°\51° 9 days with rain

Today’s Observances:

Buffalo Soldiers Day  Link
National Milk Chocolate Day  
Link
National Waterpark Day  
Link
World Hepatitis Day 
Link

Weekly Observances:

International Congress of Mathematics: 23-30

National Tequila Week: 24-30  Link

Fresh Quotation:

 

 

Today’s Reflection:

A nice summer day. Monsoon is taking a break. Just a nice summer day.

While I was in the hospital, my brother found several firearms I had used when I was hunting, along with a German pistol my father had bought for protection. He took them, with my permission, to a local gun shop. They put them up for consignment sale. Today I picked up the check. All 3 firearms sold and I got a little over $500. Not bad. And now there are 3 gun onwers happy with their purchase.

I bought a couple of end tables for near my bed to hold ‘nigh time things like my CPAP machine, phone, etc. The two end tables must have over 50 screws and bolts I must put in the right place. I got the basic frame done before I quit.   I’ll either find someone to finish it, or I will do a little each day. It is not hard work, it is just time consuming and my ‘position in space’ has never been good making the transfer from the picture to the actual table difficult. I’m not giving up, but I’m not rushing it either.

Historical events

28 July History video

Cool to know about language:

SPILL 

Oddly, to spill first meant to kill or destroy, and it has been suggested that this somewhat bloody original meaning might relate to other similar words for bloodied animal fur or even flayed skin; it was in the sense of putting something to waste that it later came to be used of messily dropping the contents of something.

The more contemporary sense of "spilling" gossip or a secret, though, is still over 200 years old: in early 19th-century slang, to spill meant to betray a fellow criminal or confidante to the authorities, and then by the turn of the 20th century, the word had likewise come to mean to reveal or disclose something secret or personal.

Today in Science:

Can commercial funding fill a hole of £42 million (US$56 million) a year in the finances of some of the United Kingdom’s flagship science laboratories and facilities?

That is the challenge facing sites run by the UK Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), which funds the Diamond Light Source — the national synchrotron facility in Harwell — as well as other scientific instruments and labs.

The UK government has said that all STFC-funded sites must raise money to cover more of their own running costs, or risk closure.

The remodelling comes amid an overhaul to UK public research funding in line with the government’s strategic priorities, and during a rocky period for UK science. The country’s new prime minister, Andy Burnham, has merged the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology into a larger Department of Business, Innovation, Science and Trade. Patrick Vallance, a clinical scientist popular among research leaders, resigned as science minister on 20 July. Chemical engineer Chris McDonald, a member of the UK parliament who had a prior career in industry research, was appointed to the role on 24 July.

Picture of the Day:

Runner up from the "People" category - 2021 Drone Photo Awards
Title: Beach Season

Description: "I took this picture in February 2021, on ice hummocks at the Kapchagay reservoir in the Almaty region of Kazakstan. The air temperature on that day was -10 degrees Celsius; for our region and season it could be said warm, and so, without waiting for summer, we decided to open the beach season!". Alexandr Vlassyuk

Tricky US Trivia:

Question: What was the name of the Native American tribe the Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving with?

 


Answer: The Wampanoag tribe

Today’s Birthdays:

Harry Kane Soccer Player [England captain] 33 years old

Birthplace Chingford, England

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lori Loughlin TV Actress 62 years old

Birthplace New York CityNY

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Terry Fox Runner [1958-1981] @22 osteosarcoma

Birthplace WinnipegCanada

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis First Lady @64, cancer

Birthplace Long IslandNY

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That’s All for Now

No comments:

Post a Comment