August 30, 2026

31 Aug

 

 

31 Aug

Weather Expectations Week 38 Day 243 Flag Today  80°/55°                            

Wind 15 mph Gusts 25 mph

Risk of fire: Very Low   Active Fire: 96 miles away

Nearest Lightning: 17 miles away Humidity:  45%

Air Quality: Fair Sunshine Very Breezy

July Averages: Temps: 82°\51° 9 days with rain

Today’s Observances:

International Day for The People of African Decent
International Overdose Awareness Day Link
Love Litigating Lawyers Day  Link
National Diatomaceous Earth Day 
 Link
National Matchmaker Day 
 Link
Trail Mix Day 
Link

Weekly Observances:

Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over: 12-9/7 Link 

Be Kind To Humankind Week: 25-31
World Science Fiction Days: 27-31
National Championship Chuckwagon Races: 29-9/6
US Open Tennis Championships: 30-9/13

Fresh Quotation:

 

Today’s Reflection:

A nice summer day again. No complaints.

I’ve been watching the Jeopardy Masters multi-day tourney. It is very good.

I was ready to head out to Walmart to see why my app wouldn’t work for deliveries, but tried one more time. It worked fine…gotta love technology.

I grew up with orange juice and a multi-vitamin at breakfast. Later in life I added pineapple or grapefruit juice to my regiment.  For over a year, I haven’t been able to drink grapefruit juice as it interacted with the med that was cleaning my CLL. I finished the pills last week, and can now return to grapefruit juice in the morning. Happy camper here.

With all the talk on the news about the upcoming midterms, it sounds like the media believes that the we are in a period of change and that this election will be generational. The voters are saying it is time for younger politicians to sit in Congress and in state government. I sure hope that is true. I get that older politicians have more experience but I must ask if those politicians nearing 80-years-old or even older should remain in law-making roles until they pass away. On the other hand, is voting in younger politicians only going to further divide our country?  I am ready to find out. As an elder, I hope those older politicians find that retirement is wonderful and that they did their best, and now it is time for others.  I worked hard for many, many years before retiring at 59. It was the best decision I ever made.

Historical events

31 Aug History Video

Cool to know:

29. What did Queen Anne die of? 

 

Answer: A stroke.

 

30. Groups of lions are known as what? 

Answer: Prides.



31. How many pairs of wings does a bee have? 

Answer: Two.

Colorado Wildlife:

The bald eagle – so named because of its white head – is found only in North America and is one of the continent’s largest birds of prey. Here in the United States, the bald eagle is recognized as the country’s national symbol, a distinction it has held unofficially since 1782 but not legally designated until 2024. Young bald eagles are dark brown in color when they fledge the nest at about 12 weeks of age. Their head and tail feathers turn predominantly white in the fourth or fifth year.

 

Picture of the Day:

The odds of getting a royal flush are exactly 1 in 649,740.

Poker fiends have a slightly better chance of laying down a straight flush: Try 72,192 to 1. Out of the 7,462 distinct five-card poker hands, you have a 42% chance of getting a single pair though. 

Great Life Magazine Photos:

Faye Dunaway (seated) and director Norman Frederick Jewison on the set of ‘The Thomas Crown Affair,’ 1967.

Bill Ray/Life Picture Collection/Shutterstock

 

Harper’s Index from Funny Times:

September 2026 • Source: Inside Higher Ed (Washington)

Average number of seconds allotted per question on the SAT in 1926, the year of the test’s introduction  : 18

 

September 2026 • Source: Pew Research Center

Today  : 82

 

September 2026 • Source: Pew Research Center

Estimated number of NIH grants canceled as a result of federal efforts to combat anti-Semitism  : 668

 

Today’s Birthdays:

Chris Tucker Movie Actor 55 years old

Birthplace AtlantaGA

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Richard Gere Movie Actor 77 years old

Birthplace PhiladelphiaPA

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mohammad bin Salman Prince 41 years old

Birthplace Saudi Arabia

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Debbie Gibson Pop Singer 56 years old

Birthplace BrooklynNY

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Larry Hankin TV Actor 86 years old

Birthplace New York CityNY

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That’s All for Now


No comments:

Post a Comment