August 20, 2026

21 Aug

 


 

1 Aug

Weather Expectations Week 34  Day 233   Flag Today  82°/57°                            

Wind 10 mph Gusts 11 mph

Risk of fire: Extreme  Active Fire: 64 miles away

Nearest Lightning: 3 miles away Humidity:  38%

Air Quality: Fair Sunshine Partly Cloudy Breezy

July Averages: Temps: 82°\51° 9 days with rain

Today’s Observances:

Brazilian Blow-out Day Link
International Day of Remembrance and Tribute To The Victims of Terrorism
Internet Self-care Day 
Men's Grooming Day 
National Day of Action Against Bullying and Violence 
Link 

National Spumoni Day Link
Poet's Day
Senior Citizen's Day

Weekly Observances:

Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over: 12-9/7 Link 

World Photography Week: 12-26 Link

National Aviation Week: 16-22

Bullying No Way Week: 17-21 Link

Minority Enterprise Development Week: 18-24

Little League World Series: 19-30  Link

Fresh Quotation:

 

Today’s Reflection:

A nice day, a little cloudy. All good here.

I went to my oncologist to have my port flushed. Easy appointment, except for the 3rd time since I started seeing them, they changed their name and joined a different group. When this happens, everyone is a ‘new patient’ and has to fill out pages and pages of information. I did some on line, got disgusted while doing it. They gave me 15 forms to fill out with a pen. I did them. As I was returning the forms, I said, ‘please don’t change again’. The receptionist agreed, this was her 4th time changing. Then I found out that Theona, one of the nurses who treated me, has retired. Good for her. She was a great nurse, confident, competent, funny, a tad sarcastic, and an all-around good person. She will be missed.

While Flag is not getting that much monsoon rain, as it winds down, other parts of the state continue to have flash flooding. Last night several flash flood announcements were on TV. The closest was the burn area of the Pocket Fire near Sedona. On the road from Flag to Sedona are several recreation areas. Slide Rock being the most popular. It was closed due to possible flash floods. Also were flooding in Gila and Yavapai county a little more south of Sedona. Heavy rain over burn area always cause lots of damage.

I listened to a report that believes that we have a choice…learn AI and use it now or ignore it and fall behind where you may not be able to catch up. I’m a small user of AI…like Chat GBT makes my logo for this blog. I don’t need to spend time conversing with a machine. I tell it what I want and it makes something for me. If I don’t like it, it toss it and make a different one. That’s enough for me. On a side note: I enjoyed the Val Kilmer movies and was sorry to hear he passed last year. He was working on a movie and agreed, along with his remaining family, that the movie should be finished using AI. I doubt I will ever watch it. It just seems creepy.

Historical events

21 Aug History video

Cool to know:

What was the first state? 

 

Answer: Delaware.

 

What is the capital city of Spain? 

 

Answer: Madrid.

Wild Animals of AZ:

Raccoon 

Raccoons can be found throughout Arizona and live nearly anywhere a permanent water source can be found, even in the desert! These little mammals can reach weights of up to 30 pounds and have adapted well to living near humans and their activities. Have you ever awakened to campground trash strewn about the campsite? The culprit or often culprits, are raccoons.  

Typically, these guys will consume a variety of plant and animal species, although their main diet consists of aquatic insects, fish, invertebrates, eggs, birds, small rodents, fruits, grains and nuts. Although raccoons are nocturnal in nature, there is always a chance of seeing them during the day if you’re in the right place...Roper Lake, Patagonia Lake, and Dead Horse Ranch State Parks are great places to start looking.

 

Picture of the Day:

The Crown Jewels contain the two biggest cut diamonds on Earth.

They both came from the Cullinan Diamond, a 3,106-carat gem found in South Africa in 1905. The largest stone, called the Great Star of Africa, is in the Sovereign's Sceptre, while the second largest is mounted in the Imperial State Crown (pictured).

 

Great Life Magazine Photos:

Steve McQueen aims a pistol in his living room.

John Dominis/The LIFE Picture Collection / Shutterstock

 

Harper’s Index from Funny Times:

Percentage of Americans who strongly believed in 2018 that society is ‘better off’ if more people are married: 1/25

Who strongly believed it last year 1/10

Today’s Birthdays:

Hayden Panettiere TV Actress [1989-2026] @36, still under investigation

Birthplace Palisades, NY

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Robert Lewandowski Soccer Player 38 years old

Birthplace WarsawPoland

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Usain Bolt Runner 40 years old

Birthplace Sherwood Content, Jamaica

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wilt Chamberlain Basketball Player [1936-1999] @63 heart failure

Birthplace PhiladelphiaPA

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kim Cattrall TV Actress 70 years old

Birthplace LiverpoolEngland

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Princess Margaret UK Princess [1930-2002] @71, in her sleep after stroke

Birthplace Scotland

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kenny Rogers Country Singer [1938-2002] @81

Birthplace HoustonTX

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That’s All for Now


No comments:

Post a Comment